Sunday, May 30, 2010

Wow, 1 Month Already!

I am trying to get back into this blogging thing but already 1 month has passed. I can't even believe it. One interesting point is as I was looking at everyone else's blog it seems as though I might not be the only one with this problem!


But I thought I would update on my recent trip to Alaska. A last minute an opening came to go Black Bear hunting with my dad, my brother, Jason, and a co-worker, Chris. I jumped on it and am so glad I did. We had so much fun and it was such an incomparable experience. Alaska has so much wildlife and scenery, it's really like no other place I've ever been. Although I have been to Alaska a few times before, I have never experienced it quite like this.




We went on a 50' boat and cruised the Prince William Sound looking for bears. We stayed on the boat all week unless we saw a bear and wanted to hunt it or if we were going to just go look for bears on our own.

I did get a bear. I was actually the first one. I really prefer to shoot animals that I spot as I feel like it's much more my own and I was so glad that I spotted this bear first. I really wanted to get a bear and didn't have too much of a preference on how big it was, so long as it wasn't a baby! Their hides are absolutely amazing this time of year as they are just coming out of their dens from winter. It was so thick and beautiful, I don't know if I'll even need to go bear hunting again!


We caught shrimp the whole time and had fresh shrimp everyday. They were huge and so yummy, but you'd never think you could get sick of eating shrimp, but we did!
There was so much wildlife. We saw a little bit of everything! These are Mountain goats on the hillside if you can see them! One is laying down toward the top and one is eating toward the bottom.


We rode around in a little raft when we got off the big boat. I wore a life vest every time we got in it! I was the only one, but the ocean is big and cold and I didn't want to utilize my swimming skills with all my hunting apparel on!



Some of the things we saw were more like what you'd see in a picture! I missed the family quite a bit and was very glad to get home. It was a whole week away and by the end I was starting to say things like, "I am NEVER leaving home for a full week again" and "I'm starting to wonder if this hunting thing is overrated!" Now that I've been home a while I'm back to normal though!



Jason and Chris both got bears as well. It was so fun to see and hunt so many bears. We ended up seeing almost 40 Black bears! I felt like I was in the middle of a bear factory with a few of the best hunters I know! It was a pretty jam packed trip to say the least!



We saw a lot of icebergs. It was definitely a new experience. One time we were just navigating through an iceberg field. It was spooky and a little too Titanic like! The water temperature kept dropping and is was the time I was most glad to have a captain driving the boat instead of me!

2 comments:

Chase and Megan Whittaker said...

Jen! This was such a FUN post!! The pictures are beautiful! It looks like you guys had a great time! Congrats on the bear!! Now you just need to come up here and shoot a wolf ;)
So the meat thing.....are you guys like not eating meat at ALL? And for how long?

John Petersen said...

I didn't ever see all of these photos. Nice photography.